Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Keyboard+Mouse=Console Controller?

So I receive an email from our Executive Manager here at Pittco about doing an opinion piece to be posted on the new website. Obviously, you are reading it now. I said that I would love to do any kind of article, and kindly asked about the topic he wished me to offer my insight on. Then came the pile of dog crap that he laid on me. “For years 3rd party companies have explored the idea of adding the functionality of a Keyboard and Mouse to consoles. None have truly caught on. What if the console manufacturers got behind the implementation of a console keyboard and mouse? How would it affect PC gaming and what would happen to the console controllers?” Are you kidding me? Well, thanks Nik. You’ve only handed me one of the hardest topics in gaming to render an opinion on. Please revert all pitchforks and burning torches to the home Mr. Parenti.

But, being the opinionated person that I am, I feel it is my duty as an avid console player to tell you how I feel on this particular controversial topic and decided to go ahead with writing it anyway.

Let’s start with what would happen if console manufacturers got behind adding keyboard and mouse capabilities to console gaming. Do I think it would catch on? Of course I do. How awesome would it be if PC gamers didn’t have to put upgrades into their rigs every year to get it up to par for the next big game? Consoles have offered a very stream lined process for developing games. When a system is released, it keeps that tech in place for 5-7 years before the next gen console comes out. While the styles of the individual system may change (i.e. PS2 Mini, 360 Slim, etc.) the processors, graphics card and mostly the output that the systems produce keep the games mostly the same for the amount of time that the systems are in place.

Keeping that tech in place, allows you to run the same basic rig for 7 years. Being that most PC players just want the accuracy that a keyboard and mouse put in place, I think a lot of them would convert to consoles just for the money factor. This would obviously cause the console gaming scene to explode and I think that we would see a significant drop in the PC gaming scene… Again, assuming that it was a seamless transition. Me? I’m a purist. I will most likely use a controller for the rest of the time that I can. While mice may let you be more accurate, I think that controllers are easier to manage in the end. And I think that it is people like me that would keep them around. Many console gamers have switched to PC gaming because you can get controllers for a PC that are programmable. I think we would see a similar influx if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all jumped on board with the production of a keyboard and mouse for its consoles.

I will say this: I don’t think that this topic is too far from transforming from a speculation to a realization. Windows 8 will already put into place the framework of letting PC players compete with Xbox players. Once the Xbox players get owned a few times, I can see a marketing ploy ready in the wings for a keyboard and mouse to make the console player more evenly equipped. Be ready for the future folks, it isn’t as far-fetched as you might think.

Oh, for my next riot inducing article, I’ll attack the topic of which player is better, the console or PC. I’m sure that will certainly get an Frankenstein-esk fight started.

No comments: